Wednesday, March 21, 2007


THE QUOTABLE SCREAMIN' JAY HAWKINS

I'm currently reading Gerri Hirshey's Nowhere To Run: The Story Of Soul Music. It's good, too, and kind of sad so far. Published in the early-'80s, it draws heavily on conversations with soul giants who were, by and large, not doing so well in the post-disco era. But I digress. Here's a great quote about soul music from Screamin' Jay Hawkins, interviewed by Hirshey shortly after Hawkins opened for the Rolling Stones:

"Now I never sung that stuff, but I like it, what they call soul. That stuff got heaven and hell in it." He laughs. "Me I guess you have to say I spent most o my time on the dark end of the street."

1 comment:

Eric Grubbs said...

Now cue all the scenes in Stranger Than Paradise with "I Put A Spell on You." At least that's what goes on in my head at sight of Mr. Hawkins . . .