Tuesday, January 24, 2006

BRIEFLY

• I know I'm late to the table here, but, man, is Red Eye a great thriller. I almost wish I didn't know the premise going in, but even if you do the transformation of a key character is set up so slyly it almost doesn't matter. There might not be a better villain right now than Cillian Murphy. Thing is, he's a good actor even when he's not playing the bad guy. I hope there are more films like Breakfast On Pluto in his future and he won't just be squaring off against Bruce Willis this time next year.

The A.V. Club has an interview with Stephen Colbert posting later today. What's almost as funny as The Colbert Report? This page dedicated to Tek Jansen, the hero of Colbert's espionage novel Alpha Squad 7: Lady Nocturne: A Tek Jansen Adventure.

Another reason not to trust IMDB. Via TV Barn

• Comics fandom at large can't seem to make up its mind whether Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's All Star Superman is the best thing ever or completely overrated. I lean way toward the best thing ever side of things. Without ever dipping into camp, Morrison captures what's so effortlessly wondrous about Silver Age superheroes, both the feats of daring and the larger than life emotions. They could beat back alien invaders but often got their feelings hurt in the proceess. My friend Noel compares them to a waking dream. Morrison gets that and Quitely conveys it with his almost child-like depictions of his characters, particularly Superman and Lois. It come out every six weeks. I wish it was daily.

No comments: